Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dreading Dinner

Now that we are a family of three and our schedules are crazy, getting home and making dinner hasn't been a priority. We've spent too much time and money eating out since our son was born. WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! I'm ashamed to even put how much we spent eating out in a single week.

I don't get home from work until after 7pm most nights and honestly, I just want my dinner to be done so I can sit down, relax and enjoy the limited time I have with my husband in the evenings. So I spent Sunday night preparing a crockpot menu!! We ran to the store and spent $60.00 on groceries. That $60 would cover one night, maybe two for us to eat out!

Monday: Orange Chicken w/White Rice
Tuesday: Lasagna
Wednesday: Chicken Pot Pie
Thursday: Teryaki Chicken
Friday: Baked Ziti

I'm able to prep the meals during the day with I'm home with the baby and they're ready when I get home in the evenings. LOVE IT. Except..well..I'm new to crockpot cooking and the first two meals haven't been great.

The orange chicken was just plain disgusting. So bad in fact, my husband ended up eating a peanut butter sandwich instead. :( It was like orange juice chicken jerky. Blech! Strike 1.

Today was lasagna. I put this one on for three hours less than the recipe called for. Not good enough. The noodles were way too mushy. It tasted okay, but wasn't great. We'll keep this on our list for future meals, but will tweak the recipe and cook it a lot less. Strike 2.

Tomorrow is chicken pot pie and I'm actually excited for this one. Maybe third times a charm!!

More to come on my hospital and insurance drama this week, promise! The three month old (WHAAAA???!!) keeps me busy these days!

No comments: